Pages

Exclusive: Life On The Sideline EP announcement, music video premiere

Since releasing Honesty Is A Dying Breed two years ago, Life On The Sideline has remained active on the road and is now ready to unveil its upcoming EP, Never Settle. To kick things off, we're premiering the music video for the band's new single, "Echo", which tells the sad story of a young girl reminiscing times spent with her deceased partner. While not a pop punk song per se, it's as catchy as one with an infectious chorus that you'll inevitably get stuck in your head. The band's sound could be compared to that of Transit's and The Early November's. Fans can pre-order the EP on iTunes and CD here, before it's released on June 7th. […]

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Albums of the Year: xEasycorex.net Staff, Pt. 2

We're very happy to be sharing with you the second and final part of our staff members' albums of the year lists. We'd also like to thank you for supporting us in what we do. We hope to make 2013 an even better year and we wish you all the best! Click the Read More… link to view the lists.

Mario Parra, editor/press/designer

According to my iTunes, I have 244 releases from 2012, so you can see how difficult compiling this list might've been. Running a music website that mainly focuses on exposing local bands allows me to find new music very frequently - almost too frequently to keep up with. Though many of these albums may not make it on others' lists, they're the albums that meant the most to me. I've also chosen to exclude bigger releases, such as blink-182's Dogs Eating Dogs, Say Anything's Anarchy, My Dear, or Stick To Your Guns' Diamond, though they were also very solid releases, but I feel don't need as much recognition.

Class Picture - Class Picture EP
Easily one of my personal highlights to 2012 and one of the most played-through releases. Ironically, I posted the download to this EP on the site when it was first released, but it really hooked me when we premiered the band's single, Blind Spot, months later (which is also fantastic). This EP blends essential Pop Punk, Hardcore, and Emo elements in the most authentic and emotion-evoking manner. These songs were made to be sung at the top of your lungs. From avoiding unnecessary high-production and achieving a raw sound, to the heartfelt vocals and lyrics, this release truly is transcendent, at least to me. I only hope that the band can exercise the same passion on a full-length next year.

Thieves - Achiever
Concept albums and technical Pop Punk aren't phrases often thrown around in this scene, but they describe Achiever perfectly. The 8-track album goes above and beyond, delving into self-realising and existential themes that explore the idea of finding our place in this world and the things that define us. The musical portion really compliments the lyrics, showcasing a perfect Pop Punk/Hardcore formula, stitched together with tremendous ambient interludes that make me think of Angels & Airwaves. This is a level of depth that truly appeals to me as a person and music-lover.

Real Friends - Everyone That Dragged You Here EP
Real Friends have found a way to draw energy out of me that I didn't know I had. Not only have they garnered such a loyal and vast following in a short amount of time for their infectious sound, but also for their extremely relatable lyrics. Their music is also coupled with a strong DIY/hard-working ethic that should be exemplified.

Decade - Decade EP (Slam Dunk Records)
Decade's self-titled EP tears down the walls of Pop Punk and adds in its own ingredients. It might be a UK quality, but the EP really can't be pegged down to a single genre, and that's not an easy thing to achieve. The songs are as aggressive as they are calm. Another pro is Alex Sears' vocals and the ability to hit notes that not a lot of bands bother with, especially those who play similar music.

Neck Deep - Rain In July EP (We Are Triumphant Records)
I understood and predicted the magnitude of this EP before it was out, as I replayed the songs over and over, preparing to premiere them on the site, anxiously waiting to share them with others. While the lyrical content may not be the most diverse, it's written whole-heartedly, which makes it all the more reminiscent. The musical portion is even stronger, raising the bar for what can be achieved. I also have to mention how beautiful the acoustic number, A Part Of Me, is - it's a testament for what can be accomplished with just your voice and a guitar.

Light Years - Just Between Us... EP (Escapist Records)
This is another release that has has stuck with me for various reasons, the main being the ability to break the mould and produce honest music that stands on its own feet. Emotional Pop Punk at its finest. I can't wait to hear what the band has been working on for their debut full-length, I Won't Hold This Against You.

Basement - Colourmeinkindness (Run For Cover Records)
Basement's prior material had never appealed to me that much and came off as somewhat overrated, however this album completely blew me away. Over the past year, my appreciation for Emo has increased substantially, but I'd never heard anything so melancholic, yet upbeat. The music's honesty matches that of the lyrics to form something truly unique. Overall, it's a great way for the band to come to an end, at least for now.

Far From Proper - Rock Bottom EP
Far From Proper put forth a respectable amount of growth on this EP, compared to their previous releases. The lyrics are very personal, which reveal an intimate and vulnerable side to the band that shows a great deal of substance and not the conventional subjects you might expect. The calibre of the musicianship is in a category of its own. Top-notch Punk Rock.

Worthwhile - Carry On Kid
Miracle Me by Worthwhile is one of my all-time favourite albums, and though I really miss that sound, the band's new album still made my best of 2012 list. Worthwhile's religious undertones have never bothered me, in fact I feel like it's part of what drives the wisdom and boldness in their lyrics. The band's new sound always reminds me of Defeater, but it's much more than just a Melodic Hardcore record; it achieves a certain experimental aspect that allows it to really stand out.

Coming Clean - Drive Safe EP (Love & Death Records)
A rather short release, unlike the effect it's had on me. Drive Safe is a straight-up Hardcore-influenced Pop Punk record that takes the genre's basics and improves them in almost every way possible.

Anthony Allegra, editor

Mario had asked all of us that contribute to the blog to hash out an Albums of the Year piece. I've never really been a big fan of these, mostly because since so many people do them this time of year it gets to the point where people just want to compare all the lists. They want to see who you include and who is snubbed, and they don't really care why you picked them. For that reason, I chose to do mine with a twist. Instead of listing my top albums, I went ahead and chose to pick my favorite songs for the year. In no particular order, they are as follows.

Avely - Canal Park (False Hope EP, Unbuckled Records)
I first got to hear this song a couple weeks before the band was ready to release the 7" it was on. I had helped out the label that was putting out the record, and one of the band members sent me a copy of the songs early. My first response was to get on Twitter and tell the band that this song was "such a jam". Everyone can relate to the moment when you were let down by someone, so you just threw their shit away. Months later my mind remains unchanged. Perfect ending to a great record.

You Vandal - Groundhog Day (Leave The Frowning To Us EP)
This song is aptly named, anyone who has ever seen the movie of the same title will agree. The monotony touring bands face is often overwhelming so what I love about this song is that it is brutally honest. You'll hear so many people in bands tell you how much they want to be out on the road without even thinking about the toll it takes on themselves. Two lines I love in this song; "I love my band like they're my brothers, but I love sleeping in my own bed a whole lot fucking more" and "If you think that anyone can make it then you're fucking insane, what the hell is making it anyway? But a joke". Nothing like sleeping in your own bed after a long trip, and when you consider the sheer number of bands out there and the few that are considered to have made it sometimes maybe we are fooling ourselves.

Handguns - Long October (Angst, Pure Noise Records)
This song, I believe was the first single from the Angst album. The intro got me hooked initially, and I love how it shows up time and time again throughout the song. The way the verse lyrics change but stay similar, especially in band names and music devices is creative and appreciated. Guest vocals by Evan Pharmakis and a brilliant verse about having to hit bottom to get back up tie the end of the song together. I don't think any other single all year did more to excited people for a band's full length than this one did.

Turnover - No Sun (Citizen/Turnover Split EP, Run For Cover Records)
After the first listen this was just another song. I love the old EP and just didn't think much of this one at first. A day later, it was stuck in my head. I've quoted this song to more family members and co-workers than I'd like to admit. "If you called what I'm doing living, I would say that that's a stretch, I'd say it's more like passing time". Those days you wake up and next thing you know it's time to go back to sleep and you feel as if you've accomplished nothing. Days that can be summed up simply by the word existing. What I love about this song is how easy it is to relate to. We all know people who when they are no longer around, you are greatly saddened.

The Wonder Years - Me Vs. The Highway (Punk Is Dead. Get A Job. Split EP, Hopeless Records)
It would be an understatement to say this band has been my favorite for the better part of the last 5+ years. I love everything they do, which would explain how a song that was essentially a b-side finds its way onto my top 10 of 2012 list. Consider the way it was released, a 6" split vinyl might not mean much to you, but as a vinyl collector I find it irresistible. For that reason this song ended up in a vault with some of my most respected releases. Not to mention the fact that it implores people to recognize the fact that their best years may still be ahead of them. A great way for TWY to hold me over until their upcoming full-length next year.

Real Friends - Floorboards (Everyone That Dragged You Here EP)
This song was easily the first to make the list. When I was still enthralled with my favorites from last year, this song emerged to remind me that there was so much to look forward to in 2012. I've heard people say that Real Friends have amazing lyrics and I've heard people rip them for how bad their lyrics are. Anyone who can write a line about being jealous of a tree growing and changing while they stay the same, in my opinion, has done some deep thinking. This song single handedly made thousands of Pop Punk fans contemplate the shape of their knees, and rethink the appearance of their eyes after staying up way too late. Plus at the 2:05 mark in this song, I can't help but think of The Starting Line. Win/win.

Forever Came Calling - The Office (Contender, Pure Noise Records)
For a song to start off so positive and end dripping with sadness tests the boundaries of my emotional range. I still can't figure out if this song is supposed to be happy or tragic. That's the great part of this song, I can't stop thinking about it.

State Champs - Critical (Overslept EP, Pure Noise Records)
I've always been amazed by the vocalist of this band. The effort put forth on this song is no different. One thing I noticed about this song was a dead ringer for the band Tokyo Rose, a band I used to listen to religiously. State Champs deliver a sugary sweet Pop Punk jam, laced with nostalgia, just in time for Summer. Yes sir. A quintessential Summer song.

Steiner Street - I Should've Never Had A Birthday (Time & Temperature, Third Time Lucky Rekords)
This one is even less-known than the others on this list. Seiner Street are a band out of Portland, Maine and released their debut full-length in April on Third Time Lucky Records. The record was a solid effort, but hardly memorable when you consider the sea of other Pop Punk releases this year. When you think about how overlooked this band is it is remarkable that they would make a list like this. This song is just so catchy. I have no trouble envisioning the call and response lines of this song inciting pile ons and mic grabs at every show. The fact that it strays from the cookie cutter approach of so many Pop Punk songs makes it all the more intriguing.

Last Call - Glassell St. (Dog Years, Broken Arrow Collective)
Call this a cop-out, call it what you will, but this song is just that good. It was originally released in 2010 as part of the 12:57 EP. The blog did a dropcard compilation with TTLR that year and this was on it. I was in Boston at a show and a couple guys from another band on that compilation came up to me to tell me just how great this song was. The same thing happened not long after when I was at a music festival in Maryland. The lyrics aren't very clear while listening to the song, but if you look them up you'll see that this song is even deeper than you'd think. This song was an instant classic and to get to hear it all over again on Dog Years completely makes my year.

The views expressed in this blog are those of an idiot, but those of an obsessed music-lover.

Alissa Reynolds, photographer

Basement - Colourmeinkindness (Run For Cover Records)
Basement has always been a band I've enjoyed. They had a steady, comfortable sound that I never grew tired of. As the band released tracks off of Colourmeinkindness, it was apparent that the album would be undeniably different. Each track brought Basement to a new level that fans had not previously experienced and as soon as I gave Covet a listen, I fell in love. The song and album as a whole is a tasteful throwback. The texture of the guitars feel very nostalgic for the early nineties in the best possible way. The vocals and lyrics bring the Basement we know and love to the table while still introducing some new ideas. Each song floods with warmth and confrontation, giving the vibe of confidence. While the guitars and vocals are largely romantic and sludgy, the drums weigh each melody down to the perfect extent. Each element brings the album full circle to create an incredibly well rounded experience. Overall, the album was released not only at the perfect time of year, but at the perfect time in my own life, as well as the lives of many others.

Title Fight - Floral Green (SideOneDummy Records)
Title Fight began with a very gritty, in-your-face Pop Punk sound, from the demos to The Last Thing You Forget. The band really began to catch on while the members were still quite young. As their music gained popularity, their sound changed as the members were (and still are) aging and experiencing new things. Floral Green is very much so a coming-of-age record. It showcases their completed transition into a nostalgic shoegazing Punk sound. Within this context, the sound of Shed is easily a bridge between the two opposite aesthetics. Floral Green is an easy blend of nearly everything that I have grown to appreciate most in music, especially within the past year. The lyrics are brilliantly written and incredibly easy to relate to. The vocals are an incredibly effective aesthetic communication of each line's intended attitude, making it easy for every word to shoot straight to the heart. In assistance to the emotion-filled vocals, the instrumentals manage both to flow and ache at the very same time with the perfect balance between soaring melodies and heavy riffs. Each element of the album is a contrast of every other element in the most flawless way.

Touché Amoré/The Casket Lottery - Split EP (No Sleep Records)
Prior to the release of this split, I had never caught wind of the glorious sound that is The Casket Lottery. As a long-time Touché Amoré fan and as an avid record collector, this split caught my eye as soon as the album art was released. After listening over and over again, it is safe to say that the attractive exterior does not deceive from what the inside has to offer. Both bands are so very different from each other, though the blend works surprisingly well, especially with the feature of a cover by each band. Being a massive Beach House and Replacements fan, I was ecstatic to see the tracklisting. Both covers are surprisingly gentle and this similarity brings the two very different sounds together. As for original songs, Whale Belly fits very naturally with the Touché we all know and love. Their distinct and notable sound is apparent from start to finish. White Lies is a very different track for The Casket Lottery. The chorus soars to contrast the instrumentals while their usual sound leans closer to a sound where the vocals parallel the instrumentals quite well. Overall, this split leaves nothing to be desired. It covers all bases and brings each band to a new level.

Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired (Big Scary Monsters Recording Company)
Joyce Manor is a very basic band in the best sense of the word. Their sound is inspired by the past, but the band offers a personalized modern twist. Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired is a major contrast to their previous sound. Admittedly, I went into this album expecting a sequel to their self-titled. Needless to say, I ended the album disappointed. Of All Things requires an individualized appreciation without any comparison. While the self-titled was weighted, gritty, and true to the still-apparent Punk influences of Joyce, Of All Things is noticeably brighter and upbeat. During my first play through, I didn't make a point to pay attention to the tracklisting and upon reaching track 5, I was pleasantly surprised. The addition of the Buggles cover fits this new, upbeat aesthetic quite well. These days, more often than not, the original artist's style is simply replicated within a cover. I'm always appreciative of any artist that really integrates their own style for this reason. Joyce Manor does exactly this and more throughout Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired and does it incredibly well.

Code Orange Kids - Love Is Love // Return To Dust (Deathwish, Inc.)
I was introduced to Code Orange Kids by a friend around the time of the release of Cycles and I was immediately drawn to their sound. One of the first bands I ever really got into was Fear Before The March Of Flames (now Fear Before). I was into them mostly for their sludgy, heavy songs, and in still being relatively new to the music world, I didn't know where else to look for this sound I was so very interested in. About 6 years too late, I finally found it. It's this album. Love Is Love // Return To Dust is the perfect blend of hauntingly dreamy and relentlessly heavy, from the eerie melodies of Colors (Into Nothing) to the trudging bass of Nothing (The Rat). The album achieves a common theme throughout while exploring several ideas within said theme, which many bands seem to have a hard time doing. It is rare to find variety within similarity, and Code Orange Kids have achieved it beautifully.

Pentimento - Pentimento
While some albums tell a story within each song, others seem to have a beginning, middle and an end as a whole. This is one of those albums. It addresses self-acceptance and confidence as issues that everyone struggles with on a daily basis, making the album relatable as well as incredibly structured. Each song has no difficulty hitting home with any listener. I first got into Pentimento during the release of their split with Young English and while the split was undeniably phenomenal, it left me wanting more from both bands. Even after Young English (unfortunately) fell into hiatus, I still waited eagerly for new material from Pentimentoland. Despite all the trouble the record went through in its release within the unfortunate business side of music, the effort and wait were both incredibly worth it. The free release of the album continues to be an encouragement for newbies to give the band a try, encouraging a growing appreciation and expanding their variety of fans. For this reason among hundreds more, Pentimento will go far within their medium and I cannot wait to watch it happen.

Now, Now - Threads (Trans Records)
I've been an avid listener of Now, Now since they were Now, Now Every Children about five years ago. In fact, the first time I ever tried my hand at music photography was at a little show they did at The Beat Coffeehouse back in 2010, and the rest was history. Threads marked the beginning of some major opportunities for the Now, Now kids (playing on Jimmy Fallon, being featured in a Windows commercial), and also functioned as somewhat of a coming-of-age record. Prior to Threads, the band had only released one other full-length titled Cars, and the difference between the two is undeniable. Each song on Threads features a new sound, telling a new story both in lyrics and instrumentals. This sort of variety is uncommon these days, and always appreciated for this reason.The band features a variety of instruments and uses a great deal of different genre influence to draw those that may not have made the decision to attend a Now, Now show before. Overall, this year has done great things for some kids very similar to me, also hailing from the state I call home. Their success is most definitely inspiring to us all.

You Blew It! - Grow Up, Dude (Topshelf Records)
Most of my summer was spent on my bike listening to this album and Spraynard's Funtitled. Though there are plenty of twinkly Emo bands out there today, You Blew It! has a sense of confidence in their sadness. They are true to their genre within their sound, but their lyrics lean towards a message of independence and revolt in order to be happy doing what you love. They are sure that they aren't content with the way things are going and they stand up for themselves as a result; a coping mechanism I can relate to. Also a coping mechanism I had forgotten how to use up until the album's release. Slumber parties and theme park rowdiness aside, the YBI! boys are all very talented and deserving of each bit of recognition they've received this year and I'm sure more appreciation is soon to come for whatever they do next. Very much deserved!

The Early November - In Currents (Rise Records)
The Early November have always had a huge place in my heart. Their music has carried me through junior high and beyond and it continues to carry my weight with the help of In Currents. After a lengthy hiatus, TEN returned with a sharp change in musical direction. They've really begun to embrace keyboards as well as beginning to feature Ace Ender's wide vocal range more notably than in previous records. The album is a collective powerhouse. From the lyricism to the track ordering, In Currents is an album that was without a doubt handled with great care. Each aspect is noticeably cared for and thought over, even in the way it was advertised. Through being advertised on popular music blogs and the showcasing of the music video for the album's title track In Currents, younger kids are also noticeably drawn with the band's aesthetic and musical choices, regardless of their history within the music scene. Overall, The Early November most definitely did not disappoint both within the album and within representation. Nothing inspires me more than persistence and meticulous care and TEN has noticeably taken great care within both of these measures.

Aaron Akeredolu, reviewer

Be Easy - I Hope You Hear Me (Famined Records)
Although being quite a late arrival this year, somehow this record has just managed to creep itself into my list as my favourite. Really solid cohesive debut. Everything which crafts this record just seems like in another league with anything anybody else has put out this year. They have really hit their stride. Personally it strangely caters to everything I’d want from a record. This record is definitely a classic that will be revered greatly in the future.

I Call Fives - I Call Fives (Pure Noise Records)
Real happy with how the full-length finally turned out. It didn’t seem to click with me that much at first but after the third listen I was head over heels with them again. Definitely has a Drive Thru Records aesthetic to it. A nice balance between the more subtle and ballsy material that has been in their work previously.

Last Call - Dog Years (Broken Arrow Collective)
Just after all the trouble the band had to put up I was just curious as to how the full-length would form outside of all this. I like this record alot it spans from a lot of sounds and reminds me a lot of Chasing Hamburg by Polar Bear Club but more ambitious.

Handguns - Angst (Pure Noise Records)
This record was definitely the one I anticipated the most this year. I was kind of anxious as the hype they had received up until this point was definitely enough to do more bad rather than good. So I was ecstatic because they surpassed the doubts the hype everything. Real nice departure from the basic sound they previously had.

Basement - Colourmeinkindness (Run For Cover Records)
As this was the last effort from this band before they were breaking up I was intrigued as to the kind of record they would leave on their legacy before they would depart. I Wish I Could Stay Here did not really stick with me that much however this record I feel had them play embellish the powerful elements in their music.

Ally Newbold, photographer

1. Title Fight - Floral Green (SideOneDummy Records)
2. Major League - Hard Feelings (No Sleep Records)
3. Pentimento - Pentimento
4. The Menzingers - On The Impossible Past (Epitaph Records)
5. Joyce Manor - Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired (Big Scary Monsters Recording Company)
6. Candy Hearts - The Best Ways To Disappear EP (Violently Happy/Bridge 9 Records)
7. The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I’m Nothing (Hopeless Records)
8. Ceremony - Zoo (Matador Records)
9. Citizen - Young States EP
10. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (Def Jam Recordings)

AddThis